Debunking Nutrition Myths


Debunking Nutrition Myths


There are so many general nutritional trends I’ve learned to avoid in order to feel my best, and these are just two of the biggest ones I’ve tried and my experience with them:

    1. Carbs are bad. 

I never cut carbs completely because I REALLY can’t lay off the pasta and breadInstead, I significantly limited my carb intake for a week, documenting each day how I felt. The biggest takeaway I had from this was the importance of moderation. Limiting carbs, was constantly craving sweets and resisting the urge to binge. Significant increases in my carb intake didn’t make me feel great either. Finding ways to moderate carbs imy meals, such as eating a bowl of pasta with spinach instead of the same bowl with just plan pasta, was the best solution for me. 


  1. 2. You have to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. 


I struggled with restrictive eating in high school and the beginning of college, eating WAY less than my  recommended amount. This left me with headaches, cravings, mood swings, and general lethargy overall. I never even noticed significant healthy fat loss. What I’ve found works for me to resist guilt from eating freely and to feel my best is intuitive eating: I learned the ways my body tells me I’m full, and I focus and honor that feeling when it happens.  


There’s not going to be one magic solution that works for everyone’s individual needs, but I’ve found especially in college that prioritizing a healthy relationship with food helps me to feel fueled and able to focus on other aspects of my life. FOOD IS FUEL! 





Comments