Dorm Room Cooking that Isn't Ramen

 Dorm Room Cooking that Isn’t Ramen  

Let’s face it. Cooking as a college student is HARD, especially when you live somewhere without a full kitchen. I lived in a dorm last year and my sorority house this year, and neither had anything more than a refrigerator, microwave, and a toaster. This took a toll on my healthier eating habits, so I decided to challenge myself this week to try a few healthy recipes inspired by my mom that I could make with dorm room appliances. These are a few that I liked: 


Greek Yogurt Parfaits  

  • 1 cup protein Greek vanilla yogurt 

  • 1 tablespoon fruit (I used blueberries, but it’s your choice!) 

  • ½ tablespoon granola  

This was super easy to make for breakfast. I got all the ingredients I needed for under $6 at the store. 


Loaded Sweet Potato  

  • 1 sweet potato  

  • ½ spoonful almond butter 

  • ½ spoonful leftover Greek yogurt 

  • Cinnamon 

This was a total of 4 minutes of prep time. I microwaved the sweet potato for 3 minutes to make it soft, then topped it off with the rest of the ingredients. It was a perfect balance of protein and carbs, and it kept me full until breakfast the next day! 


Microwave Salmon  

  • 1 piece of single-serving salmon 

  • Salt and pepper, siracha sauce, lemon as desired to taste 

The salmon was a little closer to the expensive side of groceries I bought for this week of meals, but this was one of my favorite meals, and the price was totally worth it. I rinsed the salmon, patted it dry with a paper towel, then microwaved it for 4 minutes. I followed up with some other seasonings above. 


I hope these ~dorm room chic~ recipes give you some inspiration! Happy cooking :) 

Comments